Seed Starting Guide

I know it’s early but I’m getting excited about my summer garden.  I searched for a seed starting guide of zone 8 but didn’t find one.  So, I made my own, which I am happy to share with you here, or you may notice I added a new page to my blog.  For those of you who don’t live in zone 8 and are needing this info, organic gardening has a seed starting plan that I found very helpful.  The first step in designing your own seed starting guide is to pick a frost free date.  When doing this I went to the National Climate Data Center , this site allows you to pick your state and city.  If you are in a small town like me, pick the nearest city with weather closest to yours.  Once you’ve selected this, the site gives you the data.  For me, at first glance this was a bit confusing.  It gives you three temperatures 36, 32, and 28 and dates that correspond to each with either a 10, 50, or 90 percent chance of frost beyond/before these dates.  For the seed starting guide I made, I choose the date that had only a 10 percent chance of frost later then this date.  My house seems to have a micro climate that is colder then the surrounding areas, and I would rather be safe then sorry.  All that being said, as gardeners, we know that there is no guarantee mother nature will do as we wish.  Just pay attention to the weather and if it predicts temperatures below 40 degrees in the week following  your plant out date, hold off on planting or be prepared to cover your veggies.

The other day I did an inventory of my old seeds.  A few of my seeds are about 3 or 4 years old, but I can’t bring myself to throw seeds out.  I figured I would give them a try, and if they don’t germinate, well, I wasted some seed starting mix and a little time.  But, for me it’s worth the risk.

This is the newest member of the family, Misha, helping with the seed inventory.

I also ordered some new variety of vegetable seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.  These haven’t come in, but I can’t wait for them to get here.

I started planting my seeds and well, you know who, decided she needed to help.  But really, with a face like that, of course, she got to help.

It’s always nice to have a little extra help.

But by the end she was exhausted and needed a nap.

My helper, Misha, was exhausted from all the planting and needed a nap.

I hope for those of you living in zone 8 my seed starting guide helps.  If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Happy Planting!!!

This entry was posted in Seedlings, Vegetable Garden and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *