It’s the Little Things

The weather here lately had been anything but fall like.  But, after a short rain this morning the cool northern wind is blowing in.  Along with the cool wind comes a sense of joy.  As I was walking around my garden, I was reminded how most times it’s the little things that bring the most joy.

Like my garden rebounding, when I had all but given up on it, after the deer ate it down to nubs.

The funky looking weed with the little lanterns.  (I have no idea what it is called.)

The free pinestraw I salvaged from the side of the road before the garbage men came by to collect it.  And, of course, Kahlo, who with a little bribery posed very nicely for me.

My chinese mustard, that has grown from seeds, I exchanged with gardening in the boroughs of nyc.  (I’m always up for seed exchanges, love them.) 🙂

What are some of the little things that bring you joy?

This entry was posted in Inspiration and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to It’s the Little Things

1. Patricia Harkness says:

Those funky looking weeds are a form of milkweed, I believe. There were for sale at our St. Pete Farmers’ Market last Spring.

2. Donna says:

Kahlo is adorable.

3. Deborah Branning says:

BEES!! Bees are the little things that bring me joy. They are smart 🙂 http://planetgreen.discovery.com/feature/planet-100/bees-best-computers-in-a-math-showdown-video-news.html?campaign=TH_rotator

And Beekeepers 🙂 Jon and Cheryl Kittrell brings me joy. http://www.kittrellsdaydream.com/

Have a howling good weekend

4. Susan Myers says:

How cute Kahlo is…just precious. How right you are about the little things in life bringing so much joy. Today I am very joyful for the little bit of rain that is falling on my parched yard and thirsty plants. Have a great weekend!

5. Awww Kahlo, too cute! Glad to see your garden is recovering after the deer. Darned deer, between them and the squirrels sometimes I’m amazed any of us can grow anything! I think the thing that will bring me joy will be finding time to get my bulbs planted this weekend before they sprout in the bag!

6. Helenex says:

The weed that has lanterns look like tomatillos. Good job using the pine needles as mulch!

7. Wendy says:

I love those little lanterns! And to have those garden plants rebound from the deer – that’s a wonderful thing.

I guess my “little thing” would be my single, delicious, perfect watermelon I got from tons and tons of watermelon vine.

8. Wendy says:

Btw – I just drew your name for the GTTC contest. you’re a winner, yay! Can you e-mail me at wkspray at gmail dot com. Send me your mailing address too. Have a good weekend!

9. meemsnyc says:

Oooh, that’s so awesome that your mustard greens are growing! So excited for you. Do you like the taste? I finally harvest some recently. http://nycgardening.blogspot.com/2010/11/fall-harvest-probably-one-of-last.html
    The bugs loved eating the mustard green leaves, so everytime I had a bunch of leaves growing the bugs would munch on them before I got to harvest it. Hope you have better luck with yours.

10. Donna says:

Kahlo looks like he might be digging in that bone. Nice of him to pose for you. Good to see the recovery from the deer.

11. Holly says: