Last Supper

Tonight this Green Lynx Spider is eating it’s last super on my Butterfly Bush.  I previously posted this same spider eating a bumble bee.  I feel that I am very tolerant when it comes to insects, but even I have my limits.  It just seems wrong to plant a butterfly bush to attract bees and butterflies, and then at the same time knowingly allow a predator to take up residence there.  Am I overstepping my boundaries?  Do I just need to let nature take it’s course or is it okay to step in?

Green Lynx Spider eating its last supper

This entry was posted in Insects and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Last Supper

1. Oh! This is hard to see!!! Great photo in any case. I would find another place far away for the spider. Of course it is a beautiful spider and has rights as well but … it is too hard to see this. We care for our plants why not our beloved butterflies and bees? Gardeners are constantly stepping in … so do not feel bad Charlotte … it is you Eden after all. Poor Monarch. ;>(

2. tina says:

You know right before I read your last post about this spider I had just received this month’s edition of Tennessee Gardener and they have a whole article on spiders including this one! They were quick to warn us that spiders eat more than just the bad bugs-in fact they do a pretty good job of eating good ones too. It was news to me. I’ve not ever seen this spider but will certainly look for it now. I would’ve tried to save the butterfly too. Poor thing and not good for the gardener either.

Thanks for your very nice comment about my sister. I know you are new to the blog but you are still most kind to take the time to comment and wish her well. I very much appreciate it as it was most sweet.

3. I’ve encountered a few spiders dining on other residents of the farm this year. I was similarly startled when I found a Goldenrod Spider devouring a honeybee! As if the bees aren’t challenged enough, they also have to be worried about being ambushed in their search for nectar. I suppose it’s all the circle of life, the spiders must eat, and in turn the birds eat them etc. You must admit though, it’s impressive they select meals so much larger than they are!

4. Jennifer says:

I would have a hard time watching that beautiful butterfly being devoured but I don’t think I would not get in the middle it would be hypocritical after the roast beef dinner I had earlier.

5. Donna says:

That spider is a murderer. LOL I read the last post with him devouring a bumblebee. Too sad, but a butterfly, the nerve. In my garden, a wren took the only butterfly I saw all year. And the wiseguy took his right under my Nikon’s lens. So I know how you feel about the spider. Send him to Siberia.

6. meemsnyc says:

Oh my, poor butterfly!

7. thevioletfern says:

I have never seen one of these spiders – thanks for the warning! I think I would have to “relocate” it. I relocate spiders quite often. I have seen dragon and damsel flies caught in a spider’s web but never a Monarch butterfly – always sad.

8. Meredehuit says:

That is an amazing, but sad pic. I’m with Carol, it is your Eden. Do what you feel you need to do.

9. That is so cool. One man’s dinner is another man’s grave.

10. Susan Myers says:

Oh, I would have trouble with this one, but I think it would be the end of the spider when he starts eating the butterflies. Wow, I never knew they ate butterflies. Ghastly!

11. skeeter says:

Oh my goodness! I do believe that would be the last supper in my garden as well. I enjoy nature and do allow it to take its course (most of the time) but to kill bees and butterflies, No Way would I allow that! Wasp, have at them but not the bees and butterflies! I would have intervened as well…

When we see those pretty Yellow and Black Garden spiders on the front porch, we just carefully remove them with a stick and place them in the woods. There, they can make a new home…

12. Floridagirl says:

So glad I finally found your blog! That is such a sad sight. I see the writing spiders and praying mantises take down beautiful butterflies on occasion and lizards as well. Very tragic, I think. But I know they do help keep the world in balance.

13. I have one of these spiders in my garden right now. I got online and researched it and read how it does eat some good bugs, too. I can’t tell what mine has in its clutches right now, but I’m afraid if I saw a butterfly I would probably have wished the spider farewell. I saw a TX spiny lizard run off with a swallowtail caterpillar in its mouth one day. I was torn about that because I love the lizards scurrying around, too. Also saw a snake go into a bird nest and come out with a full belly of eggs. Very bummed about that. But, alas, it is nature at its finest; just doing what it does. Had a butterfly program at my last master gardener meeting. They said that only 1 to 2 percent of the caterpillars ever make it to a mature butterfly. So the odds are stacked against them from the get-go. For this one to make it all the way to butterfly, and then get zapped by the spider — poor thing.